Wednesday, November 02, 2005

License & registration, please

I received my first ticket for speeding today. I was doing 44 in a 35 m.p.h. zone. What's crazy about it is the fact that I was listening to the radio and some guy was talking about how he had gotten pulled over for not signaling while changing lanes. The police officer told him that he was being pulled over to help prevent him from endangering his life and the life of others, because a lot of fatal accidents happen simply because people don't signal. There I was speeding down an empty side street thinking about how I need to start signaling again so I don't get pulled over.

That's when I saw a bright light behind me. At first I thought it was a motorist, but then I saw the red and blue lights flashing and pulled over.

I really didn't pray and ask God for favor as most people do. I thought about it, but I knew I was guilty, so I just handed over my license and registration. Then I sat there and waited. It seemed like it was taking forever. I was parked a few feet away from a house and whoever lived there stuck their head out the front door to see what was going on. People were driving by peering into my car. It was actually embarrassing.

So, now I have a $75 ticket that has to be paid in 7 days. Instead of picking the option to pay the ticket I've chosen to plead "not guilty" and go to court. I am guilty and I plan on telling them that, but I need to see if I will be allowed more time to pay the ticket, because I'm not working right now. I won't start work again until the third week of November. I should have the money by December.

I wish I could tell the judge it was either hurry up and get home or fall asleep while driving, which I have a tendency to do when I'm very tired.

Anyway I'm hoping the fee will be waived or I will get an extension.

6 Comments:

Blogger Puddleglum said...

Awwwwwww mannnnnnn....
That sucks.
I never knock on wood, but I'm the only one of my driving siblings who hasn't gotten a moving violation, and I drive CUH-RAZY. I feel your pain. Sometimes I feel like a ticket is just around the corner though...Funny thing is, that I've been stopped about 5 or 6 times, just never ticketed. Did you try crying?? That works for me...

5:37 PM  
Blogger jasdye said...

let it be known that i constantly drive down the city streets at 40-50 mph. nice thing about living in the big city, we rarely get moving violations. and when i say 'we' i mean 'white people.'

now, harrassment is a different issue all together.

7:23 AM  
Blogger Not Your Average Jane said...

Yea I don't drive crazy. I'm a speed safely. LoL. I usually only speed when there is no one on the street or if there are people going just as fast as I am.

I tried to drive the speed limit today, but I just can't do 35. It's not possible.

6:25 PM  
Blogger Not Your Average Jane said...

@ jason- Haha. That's nothing, I drive the suburban streets at 50 mph.

heh. yea i can see that. my getting pulled over had nothing to do with my race. the officer was black as well.

6:27 PM  
Blogger jasdye said...

yeah, that's pretty much how i drive. i keep my distance, i don't like to prematurely weave, etc. but i am a speed junky. and if i can be first (even, nay, esp. in a church van), then i will.

but then again, i am getting older...

7:52 PM  
Blogger Kurisuteen Kaneshiro said...

*hails a bus*

Who, what now? Ticket?

Maaaan, these are the times I'm glad I'm a bus junkie.

But that sucks though sis! :( I hope the court thing works out for you. I'll be praying for you.

And like Adam said, try crying.

Especially when you go to court.

9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home